Maidford was mentioned in the Domesday Book and retains some of its medieval features. The Church, churchyard and much of the village lie within a conservation area. We have approximately 75 dwellings and a population of around 170. There are two working farms within the village and several immediately outside the parish boundary.
In recent years there has been an influx of young families who have easily and readily integrated into the community and play a full part in village social life. A recently-formed committee of the younger mothers, together with the Church Wardens, are currently exploring the possibility of the introduction of an intermittent family service designed to involve the children who have come to live in the village.
As well as the Church we have a village hall. The PCC and the Village Hall Management Committee work closely together ensuring that regular events take place to suit all parishioners such as race nights, suppers, talks and other events. There is an annual Christmas Bazaar held in aid of the Hall.
The 13th century Grade II* listed parish church is built of local Northamptonshire ironstone. The oldest part of the building is the rare and original saddleback roofed tower dating between 1160 and 1250 AD. The nave dates from the 14th century, and the chancel from the 15th century. The church is set back from the road and the churchyard is enhanced by fine mature lime and copper beech trees planted to commemorate those servicemen from the village who died in WW1. The churchyard remains open for burials.
The building is in a good state of repair with recent work having been carried out, such as remedial damp work, modernizing the heating and lighting, re-ordering the Chancel and redecorating. The Vestry now has appropriate storage facilities for vestments and frontals. Further work is currently planned for the Tower, which will provide an uncluttered entrance through the West door for weddings and funerals. It will also provide better and more secure storage for church valuables. We have a warm, bright welcoming church with an open space in the chancel in which plays have been performed and concerts held.
There are two bells in the tower which are tolled but which cannot be swung. The Church is kept open during the day.
Our main fundraising event is the annual Church Fete, which takes place in the lovely garden of The Old Rectory. It features performances by local Morris Men and a Punch and Judy show, a variety of attractive stalls and games plus delicious teas. It is extremely popular locally attracting many visitors from other parishes.
Churchwardens: Deborah Chamberlain - firstname.lastname@example.org and Merrill Mayo - email@example.com